15 Ways to be a Great IT Manager
The best managers are the ones that help you grow. I've collected a number of personal and others' thoughts regarding what it takes to be a great IT Manager. I believe this can also be applied to various other management positions. Good Managers are:
- Someone who has the ability to see the "big picture".
- Someone who is willing to accept new thoughts and ideas.
- Someone who has motivation to learn whatever necessary.
- Someone who motivates themselves and others around them to do better and be better.
- Someone who understands the technology they are managing / supporting.
- Someone who let's their people work and doesn't micromanage.
- Someone who trusts their people to complete the tasks assigned and holds them accountable if they don't.
- Someone who provides a competitive salary for his / her team.
- An advocate for their team.
- Someone who is transparent with their team.
- Someone who rewards and compliments good work when it is achieved.
- Someone who can see how technology plays into the company's vision of the future.
- Someone that knows how to apply that technology to help the company grow and achieve its short and long term goals.
- Someone who assists in developing their team grow.
- Someone who assists his / her employees in asking the right questions when a problem arises.
"Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them." - John C. Maxwell